Sunday, October 25, 2009

Letting the Paint Dry

Saw a painter friend today. She asked how the writing was going and I told her slowly, but that I was doing the best I could, how I always write something and then, despite my best intentions for doing timely work and keeping the momentum going, I end up waiting. One of my journalist friends called this, "Letting the story ripen," although that was really our code phrase for slacking off and not getting the work done. I try to tell myself I'm percolating or digesting or whatever my latest metaphor is, but I always feel like I'm just being lazy.

My painter friend nodded. "I'm going through the same thing. I always feel like my work is crap at this stage, but I have to remind myself that I'm letting the paint dry. Once it's dry, I can continue."

It was so nice to be validated by someone's tangible experience. I will continue to let the paint dry.

No comments: